ONLINE CHURCH BULLETIN
How to Enjoy Life
"...there is nothing better than that a man should enjoy his work... " Ecclesiastes 3:22.
When President Eliot of Harvard was 88 he was asked how he could account for his good health and vigorous mind. He said, "A calm temperament expectant of good."
I don't know if there has ever been a study on whether or not a negative, pessimistic and cynical attitude will take years off our life, but I'm certain that it will take life off our years. Some things make our lives pleasant while others make it miserable. The following rules are not always easy to follow, but will help us to enjoy life.
1. Make up your mind to be happy. Find pleasure in simple things. Most people are only as happy as they make up their mind to be.
2. Make the best of your circumstances. Everyone has some sorrow. Seek to make sure that the smiles outnumber the tears.
3. You can't please everyone. Don't let your critics run and ruin your life. The more you accomplish the more critics you will meet.
4. Don't borrow trouble. Imaginary problems are much heavier than the actual ones. Don't worry about tomorrow.
5. Learn how to forgive. Don't cling and nurture grudges. Avoid people who make you unhappy and who live life only for themselves.
6. Don't hold post mortems. Everybody makes mistakes...and lots of them. Learn the lesson from them, and then bury them. Don't brood over sorrows and regrets.
7. Do what you can for those less fortunate than yourself. The Bible tells us to do good to all, especially those of the household of faith. Develop a servant's heart.
8. Keep busy. A busy person doesn't have time to be very unhappy.
9. Hate the poisons of the body. Avoid alcohol, tobacco, addicting drugs, etc. You will NOT find happiness in any of these things!
10. Obey the gospel. Just like the eunuch in Acts 8 you can go on your way rejoicing. Not only can you have life, but you can have it in abundance! (John 10:10)
For His Cause,